This is one of those recipes that everybody loves to eat, and we ladies love to cook. That’s because even though it’s easy to throw together, it doesn’t take away from how delicious it is…not one bit.
Let me assure you, this is a meal all in itself, but if you’d like to give it a little something extra, might I suggest a side of my Farmhouse Sweet Cornbread?! Mmmmm…..slap some butter on a warm piece of cornbread, and eat it up in-between bites of this Shepherd’s Pie….I mean! Now you’re cookin’!!
So here’s the recipe! I hope you enjoy!
2lbs of ground beef (give or take a little)
1 onion, chopped
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can sweet peas, drained
4 Tbs butter
Salt to taste, about 2 or 3 teaspoons
Pepper to taste, about 1 teaspoon
Garlic Powder to taste, about 1 teaspoon
Chili Powder to taste, about 2 or 3 teaspoons
2 -3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (freshly shredded is my preference)
Just a skillet and a spatula!
***If you’re using a high-fat ground beef, season and cook the meat and then drain as much as possible (you’ll add the butter after the meat has been drained). Otherwise, follow these directions:
- Prepare your mashed potatoes.
- In your skillet/pan, season your meat with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Add butter and brown the meat just until it’s fully cooked.
- Towards the end of the time it takes for the meat to be fully cooked, throw in your chopped onions.
- Once the meat looks fully done, add the corn and sweet peas (another great option would be some canned carrot slices, drained), and cook for another couple of minutes, until the onion are just barely softened.
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over top of the ground beef mixture.
- Top the mashed potatoes with all the shredded cheese that your heart desires.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or so, just long enough to melt the cheesy layer all the way through.
- Serve alone, or with a nice big slice of buttered up Farmhouse Sweet Cornbread!